Having fished twisted leaders for some time now (with several posts relating to them), This winter and since has found me solidly in the camp of a particular leader for ALL of my warm water fishing, and most of my cold water nymphing.
A few attributes to this particular leader:
- Very durable, which is extremely important withe warm water applications
- Rolls over up to #2 Poppers and Deer hair bugs very well, while still providing an accurate and delicate presentation with smaller flies when needed.
- Just the right amount of stretch. this leader protects tippets, but also holds up to dragging bass though lily pad tangles.
- Easy to reproduce. No jigs. You can build them while watching TV, with 18' of mono, a #16 Micro barrel swivel and your fingers
- Affordable. materials for 18 leaders will cost you $10.25
Couple that with Stren Fluorocast fluorocarbon line/tippet ($4.99 for a 100yd spool) and it has proven to be the perfect combination for most all heavy applications on my 5-7wt rigs.
Who said fly fishing needed to be expensive or complicated? I have used the same leader and 4lb Fluorocast tippet for all of my nymphing, since this past winter.
Attached is the formula for twisting them up: